Top Tips for Regular Blogging!


This year I feel I have really improved my ability to complete the Share component of the Learn, Create, Share cycle. This has lead to my class making more connections with other students and classes online. Check out my top tips for sharing below!


My top tips for regular blogging:

  • Adding quick opportunities for blogging throughout the week. I include this in my planning (to ensure that it happens). It could be that the students blog their introductions to a piece of writing, their initial response to a text or that you plan for share-worthy activities. For example, when focussing on vocabulary, learners could create a word cloud or word wall of the rich vocabulary they want to use in their writing.
  • Having clear expectations around blogging. My students know that I expect at least three blog posts a week and that they are due by Friday. They also know what tasks I would like them to blog and some tasks have a set deadline. E.g. your vocabulary word cloud should be on your blog by the end of Wednesday's session
  • Having a set time for blog commenting. My home class comment on other peoples blogs and reply to comments on Friday middle block. I also dedicate time for blog commenting as part of my reading tumble.
  • Rewarding quality blogging. While I have found most of my students are already motivated to blog (particularly because of the comments that they get from other students/teachers/ Tuhi Mai Tuhi Atu), it has been really nice to reward quality bloggers. A particularly special moment this year was when my blogger of the month was one of my most reluctant writers! I give this reward to those that blog and comment most frequently and the most high quality blogs.

A large part of this new found passion for blogging is due to Tuhi Mai Tuhi Atu, a blogging programme where teachers from around the country connect and their classes comment on each others blogs. This has resulted in some wonderful connections with other schools. Most notably, we have formed a great connection with a class at Yaldhurst School in Christchurch. Following the attacks last Friday, my class were adamant that we needed to send them something, so we reached out - check out this blog post to learn more. This connection means a lot to both classes and we really saw the power in making connections through blogging. If you are teaching in a Manaiakalani or outreach school, I cannot recommend this programme enough.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unpacking Our Reading Journey

Inquiry 2018

Top Tips for Online Learning