Informing my Inquiry with Student Data

Despite not being able to conduct the pretests that I was hoping for, I have some insight into my students independent reading habits from the lockdown (see this post) as well as their test data from the start of the year. I am also in a unique position as I am spending a term teaching a different literacy class, which means that I am not 'living' my inquiry daily. It does mean, however, that another teacher is conducting the mid year running records with my students, which is great for reliability.

To summarise the data I previously collected, at the start of the year student achievement in my class looked like this in terms of reading age:
                           
Interestingly, many of my students reading level (from probe/ pm running records) are close to their biological age, with a small group performing well below and a few performing well above. However, the majority of the students achieving at their age level scored a stanine 4 in PAT. Some of the strongest readers also received a stanine of 6, which is on the higher end of average.
                                    

After inquiring into their reading habits I found that my students often skim through texts and accept the meaning that they make from this. They do not re-read or ask themselves questions to ensure they fully understood the plot. As such, they can make errors and misinterpret information. I found it interesting looking at some of my higher readers scripts, as they had misinterpreted some of the lower level texts.

I believe my next step is to teach my students to monitor their understanding of a text; to ask themselves questions as they read and to re-read when they recognise they don't fully understand something or have misunderstood part of the text. I am going to focus on the students who are achieving at or above, as I believe my inquiry from last year will support my small group who read at  9-10.






Comments

  1. Kia ora Miss Stone, the tables are very visual in showing the reading levels of your students.I am eager to learn about how you will teach your students to monitor their understanding of texts. DAT (deliberate acts of teaching).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unpacking Our Reading Journey

Inquiry 2018

Top Tips for Online Learning