My Intervention

 Towards the end of term 2 I had a rude awakening: I had a term left of my inquiry before starting maternity leave!!

Due to this, I needed to fast track my intervention. It was really tempting to fall back on my 2017 dissertation, in which I had a hugely successful intervention in maths that really changed my practice for the better.

As I critiqued my current practice, I could feel myself falling back on this. It was hard not to examine myself through a narrow lens; what am I not doing now that has worked well in the past?

Obviously it is important to use past inquiries - 'don't throw the baby out with the bath water'. But simply going back to an old intervention felt like a cop out. I had to at least build on it and adapt it. As I identified a weakness in my practice for teaching early maths knowledge and strategies, I decided to try something different. I investigated the style of teaching - the teaching process in our new entrants hub.

Key Learnings

- When the maths itself is simple and short (e.g. learning to count to 20), the activities suit being short and simple too. However, you do a wider variety of multi modal activities so the learning sticks.

- Incorporating music/ movement/ games/ non-digital multi-modal activities in quick succession is very powerful. It keeps engagement high but means the learning is reinforced in different ways.

- Things can move quite quickly with these learning intentions if you are consistent - rinse and repeat, then on to the next thing.

Different to my practice

Realistically, my students would get through 2, maybe 3 different activities a session. This included some online slides, a paper based task and then maths whizz or a learning game/ video/ times tables challenge etc. with their group. My tasks would take quite a lot longer than those done by the five year olds. Obviously this makes sense as their attention span is longer, but they could have a few more short activities followed by a longer one for example.

My Intervention

For my high performing students (achieving at and above), keep my teaching similar, adding in a few more songs or activities at their level. They need to be solving level 5 maths problems, which take longer and are meatier. They also showed great progress in the 6 months I taught them last year, so they don't need the same level of intervention. I will keep these students as one large group - the span of my other learners is too large and this group can cope with being together.

For my students below and well below - change up their program so they have shorter slides and do different activities throughout the lesson. I envision them all coming together for some activities and others being taught in group time. E.g. beginning the lesson with a song or game that introduces/ reinforces a core concept then differentiating the next activity for each group, while the others rotate between slides/ video/ maths whizz/ paper based activities/ mini maths activities like timestable challenges (on/offline).

I will keep visiting the junior classes to build up my repertoire of really simple games and activities. I will modify these to suit the age of my learners, but want to really build up their feelings of success.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unpacking Our Reading Journey

Inquiry 2018

Top Tips for Online Learning