2023 Inquiry Options

 Wow, I am super eager to get started with my inquiry this year. After spending a couple of weeks with my two main classes, I cannot wait to get further into investigating their learning. In fact I'm probably too excited in terms of narrowing down my inquiry focus.

On one hand, I have an amazing opportunity to focus on reading. This year half of my class are 'stuck' at an 8-9 year old reading level. I also have one group slightly lower and one group who are at. I have spent the last four and a half years focussed on reading, with particular focus on this level. This could be an amazing year to get shift and work with this level on a larger scale. But after spending so long focussed on this, would it truly be an inquiry, or more putting my past inquiries into practice on a larger scale?

On the other hand, my real passion started with maths. It was the topic of my dissertation and a subject I really enjoy teaching. I love planning for maths - I can clearly imagine learning pathways for my students and feel so passionate about increasing their confidence. One problem that I already see in my learners is that some have low self-efficacy in maths, or maths anxiety. Another challenge for teachers in maths is differentiating for those at the two extremes. This year I have a seven year gap between my lowest and highest learner in maths - I'm teaching a lot of levels of the curriculum! This is a challenge that other teachers have asked for support with too.

As an across school's teacher this year, could I include working to support other teachers as part of my inquiry?

I have a lot to consider!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unpacking Our Reading Journey

Inquiry 2018

Top Tips for Online Learning