Inquiry Update

Its now just over halfway through the year and my literacy inquiry has been successful. All of my students had good results in reading and I can see their confidence has grown. This week we have been working on inferencing and I am so impressed with my students ability to read between the lines - we have come a long way and I have been throwing some really challenging content at them.

I am now going to change my focus to maths, as this is an area that I have less confidence in, since moving to the 'DMIC' approach.

Two years ago I conducted a dissertation looking at effective differentiation in maths. I had some great results, but did not keep to the programme I was looking at as we moved to the DMIC approach. I would now like to integrate components of this approach with DMIC.

In my dissertation I offered multiple opportunities for my students to engage with a particular maths concept; we did a few problems (similar to DMIC), watched videos, held workshops, used materials, used online programmes, activities... Essentially it was multi-modal teaching with different material pitched at different levels/needs and my students choose which level they belonged to each week. I actually found that the majority of students picked their levels very well, but at times I would make suggestions and support them to pick a level.

This is an example of independent work in this style:
              

 I now want to use a differentiated and multi-modal approach to maths a few days a week and DMIC on the others. My hypothesis is that my students will develop a strong understanding of each concept after experiencing it in different contexts/ modes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Algebra with Coding

Making magic with Google Draw

Sticky Learning with Hyperdocs